Greek English
Home Page / Tour
Print this page

Tour

Asgata is located in the most eastern part of Limassol, at a distance of 26 km from the city and in the middle of a valley with an altitude of 190 m.

The biggest part of the area is covered by lava, woads and marls. In areas where the ground consists of umber stone and lime, villagers cultivate grains, pulses, perishables, carobs, olives, almonds, fruit, citrus fruit and vines, while lately, with the completion of reforestation in the areas of Pervolia, Gerambelos and Katsimata, residents have begun cultivating vegetables.   

Several versions exist regarding the naming of the village. According to the first one, Simos Menardos mentions in his book titled Toponyms of Cyprus that the Latin medieval ending “–ata” meant ownership, similarly to Voutsinata and Typaldata in Greece. The plural ending “-ata” refers to the fact that the properties in the estate, the so called Askata, were in fact owned by Askas.

Another version is recorded by Costas Pyrron in the ASGATA magazine published by the association of the people of Asgata in the USA. According to Pyrron, Asgata was inhabited from the beginning of the historic times and a lot before the Attica dialect replaced the Doric Cypriot dialect. He states that it is possible to prove with certainty that the name Asgata consists of nothing else but the two Doric words “As” and “Gata”, which mean “until” and “farmer” respectively. Based on this, Pyrron supports that it is possible to conclude that the ancient village of Asgata used to be inhabited by farmers who were visited regularly by merchants so that they could buy their agricultural products.     

The churches of Asgata

The church of the Twelve Apostles

The first church of Asgata was the church dedicated to the twelve Apostles located in the old cemetery, which was also known as the Old Church simply because it was the first church of the village.

The building is of no particular interest as regards to its architecture or interior design. It is a single-roomed Basilica without a bell tower and windows and it appears to have been built very quickly by the noble owners to the serve the residents of the Asgata valley.   

Church of Apostles Peter and Paul

The second church to have been built in the village was the large church dedicated to Apostles Peter and Paul. It is a large church located in the centre of the village and its construction proves that the village developed rapidly within the years 1830-1870.   

Church of Agia Marina

Located east of the village, next to the stream of Arkosykia, is the chapel of Agia Marina. This chapel was built gradually using various materials and by different people in order to fulfil an oblation and for some time it presented an unaesthetic image. Using a donation made by the family of Michalakis Vasileiades the old chapel was demolished and a new one was built at its place at the beginning of 1990, while the new chapel was also dedicated to Agia Marina.

The school of Asgata

Pericles Michaelides remarks that there used to be a school in the village in 1887, without providing any further information. However, it is certain that there used to be a school in the village even before this date and before 1876 a school used to operate in Kato Geitonia, at a church building which was later used as a carob storage room. In 1876, built along with the large church was a school which was constructed in the northwestern corner of the church grounds (this building was later turned into an olive mill by the church and operated as such until 1953. During the year 1954-55 the building was renovated by brothers Costas and Pavlos Pyrrou who covered the entire expenditure and operated as a catechetical school until it was demolished in 1980.   

Later on, in around 1930, another building was constructed towards the south of the village, where the schools are located today and this building housed Grades 2, 3 and 4, which is why this school was known as the Lower School.   

Today the school consists of three classrooms, a principal’s office, a kitchen with a storage room, lavatories and a big yard with a garden. In the 1960s the school had three teachers, whereas later on it operated with two teachers and finally with one teacher.

The Square of Costas Pyrrou

The late C. Pyrros bought the plot where the present square is located in order to demolish the existing houses and create what we can see today. However, his work was left unfinished because of his death in 1965. Despite this, in his will he stated that the area of the square, as well as a sum of money to be used for the maintenance of the project would be given to the village.

Today, Asgata is proud of having one of the most beautiful squares in Cyprus and an excellent community library.   

 

ENTERPRISES

Designed & Developed by NETinfo Plc