History of Education
The new school buildings were constructed in 1961, featuring a lot of conveniences. The catechetical classroom was first used as a temporary school classroom until the new school buildings were completed. The new premises included two classrooms, a head teacher’s office, a kitchen with a storage room, lavatories, a big yard and a garden. A third classroom was added in 1967, while in the 1990s, when the number of students started increasing again, the premises were expanded even more. For the past few years the school has been operating as a Regional School catering to the needs of Asgata, Vasa and Sanida. It is staffed by four primary school teachers and a kindergarten teacher, with an outlook of being expanded even more in the following years.
For further information, please here.
The construction of the kindergarten was completed in January 2014 and this is adjacent to the primary school buildings. The kindergarten had been temporarily housed in the health centre’s premises built in 1994. The building replaced an old residence which used to accommodate the teachers of the village.
Old Primary School
Pericles Michaelides mentions that there was a school in the village back in 1887, without providing any further information. However, there must have been a school in the village a lot before this year and it is certain that a school operated in Kato Geitonia, in a building belonging to the church, until 1876. This building was later used as a carob storage room. In 1876, along with the big church a school was also built in the northwestern corner of the church court (this school was later converted to an olive mill and was operated as an olive mill by the church until 1953. In 1954-1955 the building was renovated after brothers Costas and Pavlos Pyrrou covered the cost and it operated as a catechetical school until it was demolished in 1980.
Later on, in around 1930, another building was added south of the village, at the location of the present schools. The new building housed forms Two, Three and Four, while this building became known as the “Kato Scholeio”.
Today, the school features three classrooms, a head master’s office, a kitchen with a storage room, lavatories, a big yard and a garden. Between 1960 and 1970 the school operated with three teachers, then with two and for some time with just one teacher.