Asgata is located in the most eastern part of Limassol, at a distance of 26 km from the city and in the middle of a valley with an altitude of 190 m.
The biggest part of the area is covered by lava, woads and marls. In areas where the ground consists of umber stone and lime, villagers cultivate grains, pulses, perishables, carobs, olives, almonds, fruit, citrus fruit and vines, while lately, with the completion of reforestation in the areas of Pervolia, Gerambelos and Katsimata, residents have begun cultivating vegetables.
Several versions exist regarding the naming of the village. According to the first one, Simos Menardos mentions in his book titled Toponyms of Cyprus that the Latin medieval ending “–ata” meant ownership, similarly to Voutsinata and Typaldata in Greece. The plural ending “-ata” refers to the fact that the properties in the estate, the so called Askata, were in fact owned by Askas.
Another version is recorded by Costas Pyrron in the ASGATA magazine published by the association of the people of Asgata in the USA. According to Pyrron, Asgata was inhabited from the beginning of the historic times and a lot before the Attica dialect replaced the Doric Cypriot dialect. He states that it is possible to prove with certainty that the name Asgata consists of nothing else but the two Doric words “As” and “Gata”, which mean “until” and “farmer” respectively. Based on this, Pyrron supports that it is possible to conclude that the ancient village of Asgata used to be inhabited by farmers who were visited regularly by merchants so that they could buy their agricultural products.
The churches of Asgata
The church of the Twelve Apostles
The first church of Asgata was the church dedicated to the twelve Apostles located in the old cemetery, which was also known as the Old Church simply because it was the first church of the village.
The building is of no particular interest as regards to its architecture or interior design. It is a single-roomed Basilica without a bell tower and windows and it appears to have been built very quickly by the noble owners to the serve the residents of the Asgata valley.
Church of Apostles Peter and Paul
The second church to have been built in the village was the large church dedicated to Apostles Peter and Paul. It is a large church located in the centre of the village and its construction proves that the village developed rapidly within the years 1830-1870.
Church of Agia Marina
Located east of the village, next to the stream of Arkosykia, is the chapel of Agia Marina. This chapel was built gradually using various materials and by different people in order to fulfil an oblation and for some time it presented an unaesthetic image. Using a donation made by the family of Michalakis Vasileiades the old chapel was demolished and a new one was built at its place at the beginning of 1990, while the new chapel was also dedicated to Agia Marina.
The school of Asgata
Pericles Michaelides remarks that there used to be a school in the village in 1887, without providing any further information. However, it is certain that there used to be a school in the village even before this date and before 1876 a school used to operate in Kato Geitonia, at a church building which was later used as a carob storage room. In 1876, built along with the large church was a school which was constructed in the northwestern corner of the church grounds (this building was later turned into an olive mill by the church and operated as such until 1953. During the year 1954-55 the building was renovated by brothers Costas and Pavlos Pyrrou who covered the entire expenditure and operated as a catechetical school until it was demolished in 1980.
Later on, in around 1930, another building was constructed towards the south of the village, where the schools are located today and this building housed Grades 2, 3 and 4, which is why this school was known as the Lower School.
Today the school consists of three classrooms, a principal’s office, a kitchen with a storage room, lavatories and a big yard with a garden. In the 1960s the school had three teachers, whereas later on it operated with two teachers and finally with one teacher.
The Square of Costas Pyrrou
The late C. Pyrros bought the plot where the present square is located in order to demolish the existing houses and create what we can see today. However, his work was left unfinished because of his death in 1965. Despite this, in his will he stated that the area of the square, as well as a sum of money to be used for the maintenance of the project would be given to the village.
Today, Asgata is proud of having one of the most beautiful squares in Cyprus and an excellent community library.
Για την ανάπτυξη και την ευημερία της Ασγάτας, το Κοινοτικό Συμβούλιο έχει τροχοδρομήσει ένα πρόγραμμα με αναπτυξιακά και βελτιωτικά έργα, που θα συμβάλουν στην σωστή ανάπτυξη της Κοινότητας.
Μερικά από τα έργα τα οποία έχουν ήδη αποπερατωθεί και παραδοθεί στη Κοινότητα είναι:
- Ανέγερση του κοινοτικού κτιρίου για την στέγαση των γραφείων του Κοινοτικού Συμβουλίου στον πρώτο όροφος καθώς επίσης την δημιουργία χώρου στο ισόγειο για καφεστιατόριο που θα καλύπτει τις ανάγκες των κατοίκων και των επισκεπτών της κοινότητας.
- Διαπλάτυνση του δημόσιου δρόμου.
- Διάνοιξη και ασφαλτώσεις των δρόμων εντός της οικιστικής περιοχής.
- Ονομασία και αρίθμηση όλων των δρόμων του χωριού καθώς επίσης και διανομή της αλληλογραφίας των κατοίκων με ταχυδρομικό διανομέα.
- Αλλαγή όλου του παλαιού δικτύου ύδρευσης σε όλο το χωριό. Η δαπάνη ανήλθε στο ποσόν των £126,000. 6. Επέκταση του δικτύου υδατοπρομήθειας.
- Μεταφορά νερού από νέα διάτρηση από την περιοχή Σανίδας στο χωριό για σκοπούς ύδρευσης. Η δαπάνη ανήλθε στο ποσόν των £106,000.
- Εξωραϊσμός πλατειών και δρόμων.
- Κατασκευή του κοινοτικού σταδίου το οποίο περιλαμβάνει εκτός του αγωνιστικού χώρου, κερκίδες και αποδυτήρια με όλες τις ανέσεις.
- Διάνοιξη πλακόστρωτου πεζόδρομου προς το παλιό δημοτικό σχολείο.
- Αγορά ιδιόκτητου χώρου στάθμευσης.
- Κατασκευή γέφυρας που ενώνει την περιοχή “Χωράφια” με το χωριό.
- Διαπλάτυνση και εξωραϊσμό της γέφυρας του χωριού στον ποταμό “Μερσίνα” με την δημιουργία βρύσης και την τοποθέτηση πάγκων και ανθώνων.
- Miners’ Museum
Our community has been granted with the amount of €700,00 by the Structural Funds to repair the Old Primary School and convert it into a Miners’ Museum. The project began in January 2012 and is expected to be completed by the end 2012.
The Asgata Community Council is planning to construct a new water reservoir, to beautify the old neighbourhood of the village and also to create a Missing Persons’ Monument.
Olive-oil-press – Flour-mill
In our community the reisan old Olive-oil-press and Flour-mill which has been declared by the Department of Preservation asa Table B’ Museum. The state will cover 50% of the expenditure for the project which will begin in April 2012.
Ο αείμνηστος Κ. Πύρρος το 1956 αγόρασε το χώρο της σημερινής πλατείας με πρόγραμμα να κατεδαφίσει τα σπίτια που υπήρχαν τότε εκεί και να δημιουργήσει αυτό περίπου που έγινε σήμερα. Το 1965 ο Κώστας Πύρρος πέθανε, αφήνοντας το έργο του ημιτελές, αλλά όμως, με διαθήκη, άφηνε στο χωριό, τον χώρο και ένα ποσό για την συντήρηση του έργου.
Σήμερα η Ασγάτα μπορεί να περηφανεύεται γιατί διαθέτει μια από τις ωραιότερες πλατείες στην Κύπρο και μια αξιόλογη κοινοτική βιβλιοθήκη.